Information and Support


Advocacy for children and young people


Advocates are independent and offer support, protect a person’s rights and help them to speak out.  This may include:

  • Going to meetings with a young person where decisions are made

  • Writing letters on their behalf

  • Helping to get information a young person may need and help them understand what their rights are.


Children and young people will be offered the support of an advocate by Children’s Social Care.


Further information


Barnardo’s (Children and young people)





Children’s Social Care

Council of the Isles of Scilly

Carn Gwaval

St. Mary’s

Isles of Scilly

TR21 0NA


01720 424483




Advocacy for Adults


Advocates are independent and offer support, protect a person’s rights and help them to speak out.  


Isles of Scilly Advocacy (SEAP) provides this service for adults on the Isles of Scilly for the following:

  • People who need support to make a complaint about their NHS care or treatment

  • People detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 or subject to recall to hospital

  • People referred by Adult Social Services under the Care Act 2014 to facilitate care and support assessment, planning and review and safeguarding

  • People who lack mental capacity referred by Social Services of the NHS to support decision making around changes of accommodation, serious medical treatment or deprivation of liberty




Further information


Isles of Scilly Advocacy (adults)





P.O. Box 375


TN34 9HU


0330 343 5713

Text: Start you message with the keyword SEAP to 80800




Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice & Support Service, SENDIASS offer information, advice and support to:

  • Parents/carers of a child or young person (aged 0 – 25) with a special educational need or disability

  • Those age 25 years or under that have a special educational need or disability

  • Anyone working with children or young people aged 0 – 25 with a special educational need or disability.


This is a free and confidential service and aims to:

  • Empower children, young people and parents/carers of children with special educational needs or disability by ensuring they have the information, confidence and support needed to make informed decisions

  • Provide information and support

  • Encourage good working relationships between parent/carers, children, young people, education providers, the local authority and other agencies

  • To support schools and other agencies to continue to develop good working practices in relation to SEND.



Further information


To meet the team, view their working days and for direct telephone numbers click here.




Tel: 01736 751921 Monday to Friday 10am - 3pm


Unit 3 East Pool
Tolvaddon Business Park
TR14 0HX


Email:  online contact form


Isles of Scilly Parent Carers


The Isles of Scilly Parent Carers Group was established in 2009 and is a pro-active, independent forum of parent carers, run by parent carers, who all have children or young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).  As members of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums we support the development of parent carer participation, a process in which parents work together with professional to make improvements to local services.  We act as a conduit for a wide variety of local professionals in their work with children and young people with SEND.  

The Isles of Scilly Parent Carer's Group's purpose is to improve the services provided for our young people, aged 0 and 25 years.

We are a Parent Participation Forum enabling parent carers to participate in developing and influencing local services.  We work with service providers, individuals and organisations to bring real-life perspective and experience to the planning and development of the services that our families use.  We focus on helping to raise the standard of Social Care, Education and Health Services within and provided to the Isles of Scilly, to ensure that these services are provided in a way that meets the needs of all disabled children and their families locally.

The Isles of Scilly Parent Carer Group aim to meet regularly to use the unique shared experiences that they have gained in raising their own families to work in partnership with all agencies responsible for providing services to children with additional needs/disabilities in the Isles of Scilly, enjoy family fun days, have social evenings out and offer a peer support.

To become a member of the Isles of Scilly Parent Carers Group you must be a parent of a child or young person with SEND aged 0-25 and live in the Isles of Scilly.  We welcome members from across our islands.  Please email to make enquiries or to request a membership form.  

The Isles of Scilly Parent Carers gathers information from parent carers to highlight common issues and have membership of all governing bodies:


  • SEND Programme Board, Chair

  • One Vision Partnership Board

  • Children's Trust Board

  • SEND Liaison Group





Tel: Isles of Scilly Parent Carers Co-ordinator 077892 45187



Further Information


Contact are a charity that supports for families with disabled children, with guidance and information. They bring families together to support each other

National Network of Parent Carers Forums, NNPCF


Independent Panel for Special Education Advice, IPSEA


Independent Provider of Special Education Advice, IPSEA offers independent legally based advice, support and training to help get the right education for children and young people with special education needs and disabilities, SEND.

The website has legal guides and resources for parents and carers, which can be downloaded and are complimented by a free Advice Line which provides legally based information and next step advice on any educational issue that is a result of a child’s SEND.  There is also a Tribunal Helpline that gives advice on appeals and disability discrimination claims to the SEND Tribunal.



Tel:  Advice and support line: 0800 018 4016   Tribunal Help Line:  0845 602 9579



Citizens Advice


Citizens Advice, offer free impartial information and advice on a wide range of topics for challenges that you may face. 


This includes:


  • employment law

  • benefits

  • housing

  • debt

  • consumer rights

  • discrimination

  • family and personal

  • Immigration & nationality

  • SEND.



You can get advice from Citizens Advice online, over the phone, or in person at a Local Office.  Citizens Advice, Cornwall, visit Scilly on the second Thursday of every month, May to December, at the Carn Gwaval Wellbeing Centre.  For further information or to make an appointment please call Isles of Scilly Council Customer Hub on 01720 424405 or the Library on 01720 424499.


If you would like advice over the phone, you can ask for a call back by texting the word ADVICE for general queries or DEBT for debt related issues, to the number 78866. Please be aware if you do this we may leave a message to say that we have called.  Telephone Access Centres operate Monday – Friday, 10.00am until 4.00pm. The number to dial is 03444 111 444. When you call your details will be taken and you will receive a Gateway Assessment interview, to help assess your situation and get you the advice you need.


Further information

Citizens Advice Cornwall


Getting advice


Citizens Advice  


Citizens Advice also have a useful guides on how to make an NHS and Social Care complaint

Patient Advice and Liaison Services – PALS




Patient Advice and Liaison Services, also known as PALS, are a free and confidential hospital service that are a point of contact for patients and their families.


PALS can help you with


  • Advice and information

  • Feedback – give comments, suggestions and thanks

  • Advice on how to make a formal complaint


Each NHS Trust has its own PALS service, you can find out which Trust your hospital is a part of by looking at your NHS appointment letter.





Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust

Patient and Family Experience Team 

01872 252793 


Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust






For further information visit website:


Cornwall Partnership Foundation Trust 

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

01208 834620


PALS Office
Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Room 11
Banham House
Bodmin Hospital
PL31 2QT


For further information visit website:


University Hospitals Plymouth

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

01752 439884


Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Services Office

Level 7, Derriford Hospital




For further information visit website:


University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust 

Patient support and complaints team

Tel: 0117 342 1050

Email: PSCT@unbristol@nhs.UK

Post:  University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundations Trust, Patient Support and Complaints team, A201, Welcome Centre, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol BS2 8HW



Great Ormond Street Hospital

The Pals Office is located in the main reception area. 

Tel:  020 7829 7862 




Healthwatch Isles of Scilly



Healthwatch is an independent champion for people who use health and social care services their aim is to make sure that those running services, put people at the heart of care. 


Local Healthwatch staff and volunteers identify what matters most to people by going out into the community and visiting services to get public feedback on their experiences. They work collaboratively with health and care partners to ensure their services are the best they can be.

Where possible, your Local Healthwatch will let you know when changes are planned to services in your community and help you have a say.  They will also encourage those in charge of local care to involve you when changes are being planned to services.

You can also speak to your local Healthwatch to find information about health and social care services available locally.




Healthwatch Isles of Scilly

Unit 1, Gleaner House

Buzza Street

St. Mary’s

Isles of Scilly

TR21 0HW

01720 423037


Youtube video about Healthwatch


Healthwatch Cornwall

Healthwatch England


Support for Parent Carers

There are many organisations and charities who offer information, advice and services.  Please download our document for information or contact us and we will print out a copy for you. 


Children and Family Services Tel:  01720 424490  Email:


Siblings and Young Carers Group


The Siblings and Young Carers Group is for children and young people who help to care for someone in their family with an illness, additional need or disability and/or are a sibling.

The Sibling and Young Carers Group gives children and young people the opportunity to meet other young carers in an informal way, giving them a break and an opportunity to enjoy activities.  It gives siblings and young carers a safe environment where they can talk about their feelings, if they want to, and explore their experiences and emotions, in a supportive setting away from the family.

Young carers are children and young people under the age of 18 who take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities to look after one of their parents or a brother or sister.

Siblings of children with additional needs or disabilities sometimes miss out on activities and parental attention due to the needs of their sibling.

Further Information

If you know a child or young person that you think may benefit from being part of the Siblings and Young Carers Group, please contact the Children’s Social Care team who will provide more information.’s-social-care


Children & Family Services

Council of the Isles of Scilly

Carn Gwaval

St. Mary’s

Isles of Scilly

TR21 0NA


Tel: 01720 424483 



Important Documents


Documents and links


What is the Council of the Isles of Scilly Children’s Disability Register?

The CIOS Children’s Disability Register  is a voluntary register for children and young people with a disability, additional need or impairment, aged 0-19 years and living in Scilly. It is your choice if you want to be part of this register.


The benefits of being on the Register:

  • be kept informed and up to date about services and activities in Scilly for disabled children and young people and their families through our contact list

  • have the opportunity to share your views through consultation and surveys, to influence planning for the needs and demands for services in Scilly

  • The information you give us is important as it helps us to plan and monitor services.


How to Join the Council of the Isles of Scilly Disability Register:

To join you need to complete the Council of the Isles of Scilly Disability registration form and return it to:

Lynn Plummer

Children’s Social Care

Carn Gwaval

St Mary’s

TR21 0NA

Tel:  01720 424481



Privacy Statement for IOS Children's Disability Register pdf

The Council of the Isles of Scilly Disability Register is not linked to any other register and will not affect entitlement to services or benefits.

Please note, being on the Council of the Isles of Scilly Disability Register does not automatically entitle your child to services.

Information given on this form will be seen and used by Children’s Social Care staff and treated as confidential. All data is held securely and in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.  We will keep the details on this form on our database so that we can keep you in touch by post, phone and email.  We will not share personal information with any other organisation.

Children and Families Act


Young person’s guide to children’s and family Act 2014


SEND Code of Practice: 0 – 25 Years


Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice


Deprivation of liberty safeguards Code of Practice to supplement the main Mental Capacity Act 2005 Code of Practice


Council of the Isles of Scilly Young Persons Plan's-policies


One Vision


Turning the tide

5 Island Web Design STAMP Long Version B

Children and Family Services

Council of the Isles of Scilly

Carn Gwaval Wellbeing Centre

St Mary's

Isles of Scilly

TR21 0NA

Telephone: 01720 424490