top of page
Money Matters


Information about types of financial support from national and local government that are available to disabled children, young people and their families.


Council of the Isles of Scilly Financial Support

Council of the Isles of Scilly Housing Department can offer assistance with benefit application forms

They can assist with the whole suite of Universal credit applications, this includes housing rebates, child tax credit, income support, JSA, ESA, working tax credits as well as traditional housing benefit application forms.

They are happy to help via Microsoft Teams, telephone or face-to-face whilst maintaining safe distancing during these uncertain times. 


To request help, you  can contact housing via email:, or, or by phone, 0300 1234 105 or direct dial 01720 424441.


If you are a resident on the Isles of Scilly and are struggling with understanding or paying your utility bills Contact Energy Awareness Advisor, Rachel Guy. You can contact Rachel Guy on or telephone: 0300 1234 105​.

Introduction to Money Matters
DWP and Jobcentre
Support Available from Department of Work & Pensions

Jobcentre Plus in Penzance

Contact for anyone in the Isles of Scilly would be via Penzance Jobcentre.  If someone makes a claim to benefits they will automatically be allocated a Work Coach and will be provided with details on how to contact their individual Coach.  There isn’t a specific dedicated Work Coach for Isles of Scilly claimants. If claiming Universal Credit, which most people do now, there is an online Journal they can use for messaging their Work Coach and vice versa. 

Currently there are no circumstances where Penzance Jobcentre would require someone on the Isles of Scilly to attend the Jobcentre for any appointments and subsequently there is no offer of travel expenses to attend the Jobcentre.

Contact details for Penzance Jobcentre:

Branwell House
Clarence Street
United Kingdom
TR18 2NU

General Telephone: 0800 169 0190


Penzance Jobcentre Customer Leads: 01736 334 433

General email address:


If you need to visit Penzance Jobcentre these are the people who can help:

Work Coaches: If you are claiming benefits from the Jobcentre, such as Universal Credit, you will be allocated a Work Coach. If you need help with looking for work ask your Work Coach. Your Work Coach may then ask other people to help you.

Vulnerable Customer Leads: They can help if you are confused about your benefits, etc. You will usually see vulnerable customer leads at the reception desk if you come in to the Jobcentre and Penzance.

Service Delivery Team: These people sit near the front of the office at the jobcentre in Penzance. If you claim benefits, such as Universal Credit, you will see them so they can check who you are. We call this an ID Check and they will ask you to show them documents like your Birth Certificate, Passport or Bank Card. This is so we know you are who you say you are.

Employer Adviser: They will help your Work Coach with finding Work Experience placements, speaking to employers or arranging Work Trials. An Employer Advisor also speaks to employers about being Disability Confident.

Disability Employment Adviser: A Disability Employment Adviser helps Work Coaches support customers who have health conditions or disabilities to access the right help to find work.

Customer Care Officers: We have security staff who you will see around the Jobcentre if you visit us. They are here to help our staff if anyone gets angry but they are a friendly bunch – don’t be afraid to say hello to them if you come in.

Work and Health Programme

The Work and Health Programme helps you find and keep a job if you’re out of work. It is voluntary - unless you’ve been out of work and claiming unemployment benefits for 24 months.


You could be eligible if you live in England or Wales and you are:

  • disabled

  • out of work and have claimed unemployment benefits for 24 months

  • a carer or former carer

  • homeless

  • a former member of the armed forces or an armed forces reservist

  • the partner of a current or former member of the armed forces

  • a care leaver

  • a young person in a gang

  • a refugee

  • a victim of domestic violence

  • dependent (or have been dependent) on drugs or alcohol and it’s preventing you from getting work

  • an ex-offender and you’ve completed a custodial or community sentence

  • an offender serving a community sentence

You don’t have to be getting benefits to apply.

What you’ll get:

You’ll get personal support to help you:

  • identify your employment needs

  • match your skills to work that’s available

  • put you in touch with employers

  • find long-term employment

  • get training to help you find work

  • manage health problems to reduce their impact on work

How to apply:

Ask your Jobcentre Work Coach if you are eligible. If you don’t have a Work Coach, contact Penzance Jobcentre at and ask to speak to a Work Coach about the Work and Health Programme. Or you can call Penzance Jobcentre Customer Leads on 01736 334 433 and ask to be referred to a Work Coach to make the programme referral for them. The WHP Programme providers are currently operating virtual services and contact is via telephone/internet.

Intensive Personalised Employment Support

Intensive Personalised Employment Support is one-to-one support and training to help you into work if you have a disability or health condition.

To apply you must:

What you’ll get:

You’ll get a dedicated support worker to help you:

  • identify what work you’re able to do

  • match your skills to work that’s available

  • get training to help you find work

  • build a personal support network

  • manage work around your specific disability or health condition

  • support you during your first 6 months of work

You’ll usually get Intensive Personalised Employment Support for 15 months. You can get an additional 6 months of on-the-job support if you find employment.

How to apply:

Contact Penzance Jobcentre to apply. Your Jobcentre Work Coach will discuss the referral process with you and make sure this is the best provision for you.  If you don’t have a Work Coach, contact Penzance Jobcentre at and ask to speak to a Work Coach about the Intensive personalised employment support. Or you can call Penzance Jobcentre Customer Leads on 01736 334 433 and ask to be referred to a Work Coach to make the programme referral for them. The IPES Programme providers are currently operating virtual services and contact is via telephone/internet.

Childcare Funding
Childcare Funding

Information on childcare funding can be found under Early Years 

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance can be claimed if you have a disabled child and is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs as a result of a disability. The DLA rate various depending on the level of help the child needs. You will need to meet the eligibility requirements.  You can find out more information and how to claim here. You may also be entitled to enhanced tax credit if you are claiming disability living allowance. To find out more click here.

Disability Living Allowance for those over 16 has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP). You can find out more information about Pip, eligibility criteria and how to claim at

Pupil Premium

Pupil Premium

Publicly-funded schools in England get extra funding from the government to help them improve the attainment of their disadvantaged pupils.

Evidence shows that children from disadvantaged backgrounds:


  • generally face extra challenges in reaching their potential at school

  • often do not perform as well as their peers

The pupil premium grant is designed to allow schools to help disadvantaged pupils by improving their progress and the exam results they achieve. You can find out more about the pupil premium eligibility, funding and purpose: 

View Five Islands Academy pupil premium report and their pupil premium policy on their website:

Child Tax Credits Rates

Child Tax Credit

You may be entitled to extra payments for child tax credits under the disabled child element or the severely disabled child element. More information can be found on the government website and at


Severe Disability Premium

Severe Disability Premium

People who claim Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance can qualify for an extra allowance when some benefits are calculated, this is called a 'severe disability premium'.  The benefits that can include the 'severe disability premium' are Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Housing Benefit and Pension Credit.

More information is available at and turn to us has some useful information and advice.

Disability Access Fund
Disability Access Fund

Three and four year old children who are in receipt of child Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and are receiving the funded early years education and childcare are eligible for the Disability Access Fund (DAF) payment. DAF is paid to the child’s early years setting as a fixed annual rate of £828 per eligible child from 1st April 2024.

The payment is only made once in any 12 month period.  If the child is attending more than one setting then the parent will decide which setting receives the payment as this can’t be split between settings and the payment is not re-claimed even if the child leaves.

The parental agreement form needs to be completed and signed by the parent to give authorisation for the setting to receive the payment.

Childcare providers make their application for this funding by contacting the Assistant: Data Management, Children & Family Services.

A copy of the child’s most recent DLA confirmation letter needs to be attached to the application.

Once approved the payment will then be made to the setting.

Please download Disability Access Fund word document   Disability Access Fund PDF

Disability Facility Grant

Disabled Facility Grant

Disabled Facility Grant is a grant that is there to allow you to make changes to your home. For more information go to 

Employment and Support Allowance
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work

  • support to get back into work if you’re able to

  • You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

If you get Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance

You might be moved to ESA if you’ve been claiming Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance. You’ll be told what you need to do and how much ESA you’ll get. To find out more visit 

Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance (CA) is claimable if you are taking care of someone for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for. Carer’s Allowance can affect other benefits and you may have to pay tax on it. You can find out more at

To work out how your benefits are calculated you can use the benefit calculator.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support

You may be entitled to money off council tax if you are a Carer or have a disability. To find out what council tax discounts the Council of the Isles of Scilly Offer visit 

Council Tax Payment Assistance - Any customers having difficulties with council tax payment should call 0300 1234 105 (option 2) to discuss their account as there are a number of things the council can do to help. If your income has been reduced as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak you may be able to claim additional help through the Isles of Scilly Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Inter-Island Access

Inter-Island Access

If you are off Island and meet the eligibility criteria, then there may be access funding available for boating. Click here for more information. The council of the Isles of Scilly also offer a concessionary boating scheme to attend medical appointments. To find out more and check eligibility visit the Council of the Isles of Scilly website:

Direct Payments

Direct Payments

Direct Payments are a financial payment made to families from children’s social care to offer short break support to disabled children and young people aged 0-19 and their families on the Isles of Scilly. You can find out more about short breaks and eligibility criteria by clicking here. 

bottom of page