top of page

Preparing for Adulthood

Preparing for Adulthood
Introduction to Preparing for Adulthood


In this section we will be looking at the support available for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities to prepare for adulthood and help them achieve the best outcomes in employment, independent living, health and community participation. Preparation for adulthood should start at an early age, well before the age of 13-14 at school, is an ongoing process and high aspirations are crucial to success. 

Preparing for adulthood means preparing for:
Timelines Information

The timelines were co-produced with input from professionals, organisations and representatives from the Parent Carer Forum and mark milestones along a child's journey from birth to adulthood and living independently.  It shows where professionals and organisation offer support to a child and their families both universal and more specialist intervention if needed. There are 4 timelines covering the 4 areas of Preparing for Adulthood:


Decision Making:

From the age of 16 you become responsible for making your own decisions and the Council of the Isles of Scilly wants it’s young people participating ‘as fully as possible’ in decision-making and will provide information and support to participate in decision making.

For more information about who can make decisions see the GOV.UK website: Mental Capacity Act.

Preparing for Adulthood Early Help

Our vision is that every single child on the Isles of Scilly has the same opportunity as every other child to be part of and contribute to their community, to fulfil their dreams and aspirations and lead to successful and happy adult lives.

Sometimes some young people and families need more support than some to make the decisions that are needed to ensure that they can fulfil their dreams and aspirations and Children’s Services offer an Early Help service to all families on the Isles of Scilly.

For further information please visit:

Early Help
Staying Safe

Adult Social Care

Adult social care provides advice and services to people over the age of 18 who may need help because of their age, a disability or learning difficulty.


This may include:

  • frailty due to age

  • visual and/or hearing impairments

  • physical and/or learning disabilities

  • mental health issues

Our responsibilities include:

  • helping you to find the services and support in your community which will enable you to remain living safely and independently at home.

  • assisting and supporting vulnerable people, for example adults at risk of abuse

  • carrying out an assessment using eligibility criteria which may lead to you being offered Reablement support or a Personal Budget.

  • financially assessing individuals for a contribution to their Personal Budget

  • in some instances we may also help you to arrange for care services that will assist you to remain independent

  • carrying out Carers' Assessments and make sure that family carers can access services and support

  • providing you with information and advice on how to pay for your care.


You can find out more at 


Devon & Cornwall Police

Devon and Cornwall police cover the Isles of Scilly and you can find out more about policing in your area by visiting  You can contact your local police station for non-emergencies at:

Isles of Scilly Police enquiry office

Devon & Cornwall Police Garrison Lane

St Marys

Isles of Scilly

TR21 0JD



101 (Non-emergency)
67101 (SMS/text number for the deaf/hard hearing/speech impaired)
18001 101 (Minicom/Textphone)

Only phone 101 to:

  • provide us with crime related information

  • contact local officers

  • get crime prevention advice

  • make us aware of policing issues in your local area

  • make an appointment with a police officer

Please ONLY phone 999 in an emergency: if someone is badly hurt as a result of a criminal act, if life is threatened, offenders are nearby, or a crime is in progress.


Out of hours medical assistance

If you need medical assistance or advice out of hours then you can phone St Mary’s Health Centre on 01720 422 628. A recorded message will advise you which number to call. 

You can also dial the 111 number which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to respond to people’s healthcare needs in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly for:

  • medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency

  • for medical help or  if you don't have a GP to call

  • if need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service

  • health information or reassurance about what to do next

Callers to 111 will be put through to a team of trained call advisers, who are supported by experienced clinicians. They will ask questions to assess callers’ needs and determine the most appropriate course of action, including:

• callers facing an emergency will have an ambulance dispatched

• callers who can care for themselves will have information, advice and reassurance provided

• callers requiring further care or advice will be referred to a service that has the appropriate skills and resources to meet their      needs

• callers requiring services outside the scope of NHS 111 will be provided with details of an alternative service

In an emergency call 999. Chest pains and/or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.



Emergency SMS Service

The emergency SMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard. 


You need to register your mobile device before using this service.


Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency work to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea.  They produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters, and provide certification to seafarers. You can find out more at:


In case of an emergency dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard

Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI)

The RNLI is a charity that saves lives at sea. Every day of every year, people of all backgrounds get into danger in the water. It’s a problem that they are there to tackle. The RNLI have a lifeboat station at St Mary’s and you can find out more at:



St Mary's Lifeboat Station
Harbour Bay
Hugh Town
St Mary's
Isles of Scilly
TR21 0PS

Station phone number

01720 422347

Visiting times

Monday-Friday 9 am–5 pm

In case of an emergency dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard

Adult Social Care
Devon & Cornwall Police
Out of Hours Medical Assistance
Emergency 999
SMS emergency service

Good Health


Annual GP Health Checks for Young People [14 Years+] with a Learning Disability

If you are a young person aged 14+ years you may be entitled to an annual health check with a GP.  You will need to have joined the Learning Disability register.

There are videos and information about how to join the register here

An Annual Health Check is done by the young person's doctor (GP) once a year. The doctor will take a closer look at how you are doing – making sure you are healthy.


  • This is available for most people aged 14 and older with a learning disability at GP surgeries that offers the service.

  • The young person does not need to be ill to get a health check, but they can ask their doctor about anything that is hurting or worrying them.

  • It is a good way to get to know their doctor better, and for them to find out more about the young person.

Further information can be found on the NHS website 

The Local Offer health section has information about health services and Preparing for adulthood Health Timeline

Good Health

Education, Training and Employment Options

In this section you can find information on education, employment and training opportunities if you are aged between 16 - 25.  If you are at School or College there will be someone who can offer career advice.  Information about careers advice for pupils at Five Islands Academy can be found on their website: 

The Government says you need to be either in education, employment or training until you are 18 years of age with support being offered up to the age of 25.  The range of options and support available for young people with additional needs are:

  • Staying in full-time education. Please see the section on education for information on further and higher education.

  • Start an Apprenticeship. An apprenticeship is paid employment with educational training to gain a nationally recognised qualification. Apprenticeships can generally last between 1 to 5 years, are available in a wide range of industries and can gain different levels of qualifications.

  • Start a supported apprenticeship. A supported apprenticeship is similar to an apprenticeship, the difference is extra funding being available and the option of reduced working hours if you have SEN. 

  • Start a Traineeship. A traineeship is all about work preparation training. It is designed to help young people who want to get into the world of work or an apprenticeship but lack the skills or experience to do so. Traineeships are for a maximum of 6 months and unpaid although help with education related costs might be available from a 16 - 19 Bursary Fund.

  • Be in employment or volunteering for at least 20 hours a week whilst in part-time education or training.

  • Start a Supported Internship. A supported internship is designed specifically for young people with a statement of SEND or an Educational and Health Care Plan to achieve sustainable paid employment by equipping them with skills they need for work, through learning in the workplace. They last for a minimum of 6 months and are unpaid although young people may be eligible for the Access to Work Fund.

Casual, weekend and holiday jobs, work experience and volunteering are great ways to get some experience of employment, learn new skills and earn some money.  If you are under the age of 13 you are not allowed to be employed; between the age of 13 and 16 there are restrictions on the type of work you can do and hours of employment.  Your employer can apply for a Chid Work Permit, further details are available on the Council of the Isles of Scilly website:

Useful Information


GOV.UK website:


Apprenticeships website:

Disability Rights UK:

Local Inspirational Stories

Brandon in Jet Boat


Brandon's journey from school to finding a career on the Isles of Scilly

Land Based Service Engineer Apprenticeship

Find out how Dan got an apprenticeship on the Islands

Dan doing digger maintenance
Education, Training & Employment
Setting up your own Business

Setting up your own business


Entrepreneurs and enterprising people play a key role in the economy and Isles of Scilly has a great history of entrepreneurship and the setting up of private businesses. There are a number of support options out there if you are thinking of setting up your own business, including:


Isles of Scilly Voucher Scheme:

The Isles of Scilly Voucher Scheme is an investment fund that you can access if you have a business idea and they can offer support with the who, where, what or how? To find out more about the voucher scheme and how to access on this link.

Smart Islands:

Smart Islands may be able to support you with making your business energy efficient and it is worth finding out more at


There are limited banking options on the Isles of Scilly.  You can manage your bank accounts online and through an app, if you have a smart phone.  The Post Office branch on St. Mary's offers banking services for a number of banks, for example pay cash into your account To set up a bank account you require identification documents, some banks you will need to do this face to face and visit a branch, others are entirely online.


The UK government can also offer advice and support on setting up a new business on their Business Support Helpline. You can reach them on 0300 456 3565 or at between Monday and Friday 9am to 6pm. There is also the government’s online business and support directory to help navigate through funding opportunities.


Princes Trust:

Princes Trust is a charitable organisation set up by HRH Prince Charles to help the youth into employment. They can offer a programme, advice, support and a toolkit to help you start your own business. To find out more about the support on offer and to read some inspirational stories visit their website at

Further useful information on setting up your own website can be found at: – provides information on grants and financial assistance for setting up your own business as well as other areas if you have a disability. – supports blind and partially sighted entrepreneurs. As well as support and advice it has a small grans fund for business start-up and development. provides information, advice and finance options.

Innovate UK offers a search facility for funding and funding advice for UK businesses. Offers support for your disability in work. is an organisation for disabled entrepreneurs and provides networking opportunities and raising the awareness of disabled entrepreneurs in the UK.

To find out about business rate relief visit

Social Care 18+

Social Care 18+

Adult Social Care is provided by the Council of the Isles of Scilly.  Provides advice and services to people over the age of 18 who may need help because of their age, a disability or learning difficulty.

Further information

Independent Living


This page provides information and useful links to services that can help you prepare for independent living.  Below is information on accommodation options on the Isles of Scilly, as well as support services to help live independently.

Finding accommodation on the Isles of Scilly

As elsewhere in the UK, finding accommodation on the Isles of Scilly can be difficult. There are a number of options for accommodation on the Isles of Scilly available to people with SEND:

  • Some accommodation is provided with a job for both permanent and seasonal work. To find out more about employment opportunities on the Isles of Scilly visit our employment web pages.

  • Private renting either full accommodation or individual rooms with shared facilities. When accommodation becomes available to rent they may advertise with Island Properties , Sibleys and Scilly Homes and it is worth looking on their websites and contacting them to see what is available. Another place where people might advertise private is on Facebook under the Isles of Scilly Resident notice board or For Sale on Scilly. For both Facebook pages you will need to request to register.

  • For those residents who have been on Scilly continuously for over 2.5 years there is the option of joining the social housing register. The housing department manage allocations for all the social properties on the Isles of Scilly including those owned by Housing Associations and the council. These include Cornwall Rural Housing Association and LiveWest. The Council Housing team can help you complete the forms or alternatively they can be emailed to you. There is most demand for single persons and 1 bedroom accommodation so it is important to indicate any additional requirements you may have when you complete the application.


It is exactly the same process for all applicants applying for council and social housing on the Isles of Scilly. However there are areas on the form where you can discuss your needs and disabilities to support your application. This includes needing accommodation because of a disability, particular housing need, and medical, social and discretionary reasons. The social housing team are there to help and work closely with social services to discuss referrals and are happy to help applicants with the application process.

  • The Duchy of Cornwall owns most of the land and nearly a third of the residential buildings on the Isles of Scilly.

There are two ways to get information about any properties that become available, either to be on their housing list and they will send out information, or to apply when a property is advertised in local shops and post offices.  They are happy to keep people on their housing list but do send out emails every six months or so to ask if they wish to remain on the list.  This list and their housing process do not have criteria, unless the housing is under a section 106, and an application has to be made for each property a prospective tenants wishes to apply for.


Many factors are taking into account when selecting new tenants, SEND may be one, but there are many others. To find out about properties available to rent visit . To register an interest in renting a property on the Isles of Scilly then contact them on 01720 422508 or email them at


Home Care

Home Care comes in many forms and has many names used to describe it, including home help, care attendants and "carers" (not to be confused with unpaid family or friends who care for you).

Home Care can suit you if you need:

  • personal care, such as washing or dressing

  • housekeeping or domestic work, such as vacuuming

  • cooking or preparing meals

  • nursing and health care

  • companionship

Help in your home can be very flexible, in order to meet your needs, this can be purchased independently to Adult Social Care and the same person or agency may be able to provide some or all of these options for the duration of your care:  Adult Social Care can provide support for you within your own home, these services can only be provided to adults and/or their carers who meet the eligibility criteria as defined by the Care Act 2014.

  • long-term 24-hour care

  • short breaks for an unpaid family carer

  • emergency care 

  • day care

  • sessions ranging from 15-minute visits to 24-hour assistance and everything in between

Further information about home care can be found on the NHS website.  

You can find out about help in your home from adult social services by clicking here.


Live in Carers

The Good Care Group have an excellent article detailing the benefits of having a live-in carer, along with great tips to ensure you hire the person right for you.

Read the Good Care Group article to find out more.

More information on care can be found at 


Other home care support

Other support services available to help you live independently in your home could include:

  • Meals on Wheels

  • Food preparation and errands 

  • Personal Care

Adult Social Services have a targeted approach to meet eligible needs and will endeavour to tailor an individual package to support people living individually in the community.

Getting out and about

Please see information on SEND and transport in the Isles of Scilly.

Opportunities to develop independent living skills

As part of an assessment process Adult Social Care can provide support for: Managing and maintaining nutrition, Maintaining personal hygiene, Managing toilet needs, Being appropriately clothed, being able to make use of the adult’s home safely, maintaining a habitable home environment, developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering, making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport, and recreational facilities or services, and carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child.

Independent Living
Home Care
Live in Carers

Support Services for Independent living



Ability Net

Ability Net supports people of any age, living with any disability or impairment to use technology to achieve their goals at home, at work and in education.

C-app is a website dedicated to helping you with the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) application process.


Disabled and Special Needs products and services

Be My

Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call.

National Council on Independent Living

NCIL is a National support, advice and consultancy organisation that aims to enable disabled people to be equal citizens with choice, control, rights and full economic, social and cultural lives.

They provide expertise and support to local authorities and their partners to embed preparing for adulthood from the earliest years. They work to ensure that young people with SEND achieve paid employment, independent living, housing options, good health, friendships, relationships and community inclusion.


The Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) delivers information, advice, training and learning events to guide older and disabled people to the practical equipment solutions to everyday living.


Support Services for Independent Living
bottom of page